Pages

Friday, April 24, 2015

Moving South

We have been thinking hard about moving south. Not just that direction, but to the South. We currently live in Upstate NY. In case you were wondering, this is about the worst state to retire in.


The taxes here are horrible and the winters are worse. 

The problem is, we don't know where we would like to go. My brother lives in South Carolina and that gives us some connection there, but it is a long way from our children and grandchildren who live up here and in Michigan

We have also thought about Kentucky. We don't know a soul there, but it is right in the middle of a bunch of people we would like to remain in contact with. We are going through there on our way to Tennessee in June. At least then we will have a better idea of the landscape.

At this point in our lives, we feel we need a new adventure. We have lived here long enough. I personally never really wanted to move to New York, but the job demanded it. Now that I'm retired, I want to go someplace warmer and meet new people.

My wife feels the same way.

It will be hard to leave our grandchildren behind, but staying here in New York really doesn't seem to be an option. If my wife should lose her job, we couldn't afford to live here. Better to sell the house and go somewhere less expensive.

It isn't necessary or a rule that as you age, the adventures have to stop. They may take on a different hue, but they are still out there.

Time for me to have one I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment