Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

Gardening


I am part of a course learning about Permaculture design. I find it fascinating, but frustrating as well. As part of the course, I am supposed to work up my own personal design. The problem comes with the gardening.



I have had a garden for the past ten years. It has been sorely neglected the last two years with knee surgeries and the like, but it is still there. The problem is, it is laid out all wrong.

In Permaculture, rows are not a good thing. You get more growing area by having more circular beds and minimal pathways to them. My garden is laid out the way people usually garden; in rows.

Now it would be a simple thing to change the whole layout but for the fact that I don't intend on being at this place for that much longer. I don't want to put all the labor into creating a Permaculture wonderland for someone else to either enjoy, or think I had rocks in my head and tear it all out.

We live in a place where our backyard butts right up to woods. The deer and other wildlife are horrible so I have to have a five foot fence all around the garden. Guess what shape it is in. Yep, a big ol' rectangle.

Again, I could move the fence, but then I am hoping it won't be my fence in another year.

I was out there working just a few minutes ago and trying to figure out how I could change the garden without too much fuss. It isn't coming to me yet, but hopefully it will.

Do you garden? If so, what kind of gardening do you do? Traditional? Organic? Raised bed? How long have you been gardening?

No comments:

Post a Comment